So, I woke up this morning and my tongue felt like it was too big for my mouth. It wasn’t physically swollen or anything, but it just felt like it was three sizes to wide toward the back of my mouth. I walked up the stairs to greet my dogs and feed them breakfast. I talk to my dogs (as most dog owners do), and I found myself repeating things to them just so I could feel out the words as they tumbled out of my mouth.

My dogs know several words and phrases and have specific reactions to said words and phrases. So when I said “Are you hungry? Do you guys want breakfast?” and they looked at me blankly, I wondered for a slit second if what I thought I said and what I actually said were two different things. So I repeated myself – slowly sounding out each work so I, and the dogs, understood what I was saying… Luckily for me they got the message and got all excited and ran into the kitchen. I seriously thought I was going crazy.

While they ate their dog food, I swung open the fridge door and grabbed my water bottle and started chugging. Seems besides the weird tongue feeling, I was still epically thirsty. Fan-friggin’-tastic.

I let the dogs outside, made myself some breakfast and watched Weeds while I planned out the rest of my day. I was so wigged out by the tongue and thirst mysteries that I opted to watch 2 episodes of Weeds with breakfast and made the executive decision to not work on any school work today. Probably not the smartest move to make, but there was no way I was going to be able to read overly verbose and freakishly boring scholarly articles and take coherent notes when I was worried about what was going on with my tongue and drinking problem.

My dad called and inquired how my morning was going. I told him about the tongue stuff and me being super thirsty. He was on his way to a meeting but said he would check in later.

Instead of working on school stuff, I looked for apartments. I spent a couple hours on Craigslist looking at potential places of residence. I found a number of places that looked tolerable. I will be comparing what I found with my BFF at the end of the week 🙂

Still not able to do school work, I let the dogs out and gave them treats. I ate lunch and watched more Weeds. My mom called later – it was nice to hear stories from yesterday’s trip to the Houston Space Center! Mom gave the phone to my sister so she could walk me through paying one of her bills online for her. My sister has bronchitis or something close to it and it gets really bad when she laughs. My mom scolded me a bit (not meanly, mind you) because I was making Sarah laugh too much over the phone. I can’t help it – I like to make my family laugh 🙂

I watched more Weeds, painted my nails and fed the dogs before my dad got home from work. I also drank 3 or 4 bottles of water and two cans of soda throughout the day. Ugh.

Even though I felt punky, I agreed to go with my dad to see some landscape architecture presentations from some U of M students down at the Mill City Museum (I heart museums). I’m socially awkward around strangers, so I did a lot of hand shaking and forced smiling when my dad introduced me to a bunch of people that I didn’t know. There was a couple there who I had met over Christmas, so it was nice to see familiar faces who I knew were nice people to converse with.

The presentations were pretty cool… although I couldn’t help but think that the work my brother has done is a bit awesomer (not a word, I know). See, my little brother is a graduate architecture student and does friggin’ sweet designs and stuff. So, the work I saw tonight was good. But (and perhaps I am biased), my brother’s stuff is great 🙂

After the presentations, my dad drove me to U of M and we had dinner in Dinkytown. I was pleased to see two used bookstores physically within a couple hundred feet of each other. I freakin’ love used bookstores! Call me crazy, but I love holding books. Who wants to curl up in bed late at night with a Kindle when you can be holding a much-loved book?

Again, spending time with my dad is great. Of all my immediate family members, he’s the one I have seen the least over the past few years. So, I really am thankful for the amount of time I get to spend with him now. Eight years ago from yesterday was the day he fell off our roof and broke himself. I spent that entire summer (the summer before I went away to freshman year of college) in the living room next to his hospital bed – getting his medicine, getting his meals, watching movies with him, etc… When he got his hip replaced the following summer, I once again spent most of my time keeping him company. (I remember my mom practically forcing me to go see movies with some friends those summers. I didn’t want to leave the house because I felt guilty that my mom would have to take care of him all by herself.) What can I say, I’m a daddy’s girl.

We got home from our evening out and let the dogs outside. I called his brother and we chatted for awhile, then he talked to my dad for awhile. We watched a little bit of the Jake Gyllenhaal SNL from a few years ago, but both were super tired.

And that brings us to now… and I’m so tired I’m not even going to bother linking out to anything. I’ll read for a bit and then hopefully fall right to sleep and dream happy dreams about waking up tomorrow with a normal tongue and a normal amount of thirst. (Fear not, dear reader[s], my dad and I are going to check my blood sugar levels tomorrow to make sure something isn’t seriously wrong…)

Have a swell evening 🙂