I was really MIA from the blog this year and for that I apologize. Real life definitely got in the way and there’s just some stuff you can’t put on a blog.
I thought I should go back over my resolutions for this year and see how I did/what I could improve upon for 2016.
Here were my resolutions…
1. Finish my book – This did not happen. I ended last year on Chapter 41 and am presently on Chapter 62. I took about a 5 month hiatus from working on my second YA novel. It wasn’t intentional – I just couldn’t write. I would open up the document and stare at it. I’d edit some little things, but couldn’t advance the story any more. I lost my motivation to write and really felt like throwing in the towel. But a few months ago, I got some of my motivation back and have been slowly getting into the groove again. I love my characters and where this story is going, so I am going to keep going. They deserve to have closure. And so do I.
2. Help myself better with regard to my mental health – Yeah, this also didn’t happen. Which in hindsight was a huge mistake. I hit an all-time low with regard to my depression over the summer and really struggled with how to cope with it. I tried talking to some people I trusted about it and that backfired or failed for various reasons. I went onto 7 Cups of Tea and chatted with some people. That helped a little, but I think I needed more. I will likely look into seeing someone next year – even just one session – if I can afford it. I can’t let what happened this summer happen again for that length of time. I still have low days every now and again, but that was weeks and months of awfulness. I’m bouncing back, though, and am grateful for the people I still/now have in my corner.
3. See at least 1 show a month – Finally – something I did accomplish! I saw a ton of shows this year. I don’t have an exact number for you at the moment, but I definitely saw anywhere from 1-7 shows a month. My favorite show was Hamilton (of course, right?). My least favorite was Doctor Zhivago. But there was so much good theater this year! I recently saw School of Rock and Fiddler on the Roof. Both top notch.
4. Read more – As of right now, I’ve read 102 books this year. I’ve started two more books and hopefully I can finish those (and more?) in the next two weeks.
5. See more of my family – I did not see my Philly family at all this year 😦 That’s all on me. I did see my parents and siblings for the July 4th holiday and Thanksgiving, and will be closing out the year with them on a family vacation in Florida. And I’ll get to see my grandparents who I haven’t seen in a couple years!
6. Befriend at least one guy – Check! I’ve become better friends with one of the doormen I see a lot through work as well as befriended a friend of my brother. It is so great having these gentlemen as friends because of the fantastic conversations and stories shared. There are jokes and opinions and thoughtful interactions. I’m so grateful to have these guys in my life.
7. Have better social interactions – Still working on this, but I think I am getting better at interacting with others. I’m still kind of awkward, but that’s probably never going to completely stop. I know what I have to offer as a person, and if that comes via some rambling at times… *shrug* I’ve worked some high profile events, as well as interact with people of a high social class than myself on a daily basis. I was raised in the Midwest, so I’m polite to a fault (especially when compared to other NYCers).
So, yeah… this year was a mixed bag. I don’t really have any set-in-stone resolutions for next year, but I hope to continue to read more, see as many shows as I am able, actually finish my book, and perhaps do better with regard to my social life (i.e. dating). This year it really hit me hard just how lonely I actually am. I like being alone, but being lonely is really starting to wear me down. (Both my siblings are married to great people and my folks have been happily married for 34 years. I am a 7th Wheel. And while I don’t *need* a significant other, it would selfishly be nice to have a special guy in my life.)
I hope your 2015 is ending well and that your 2016 starts off likewise.
Have a good one!